- 1 bouquet of fresh organic local kale (any variety)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pepitas
- 2–3 cloves of organic garlic
- 1⁄3–½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil (flaxseed oil is also delicious here)
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 organic lemon (approx. 1⁄3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Bring pot of water to boil
3. Thoroughly wash and de-stem kale
4. Scatter dry nuts + seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 4-6 minutes or until fragrant and slightly browned.*
5. Add kale to steaming pot and toss for only a few seconds until gently wilted.*
6. In a food processor, add kale, nuts + seeds, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle olive oil into the mix. Process until pesto reaches your desired consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Add more lemon, oil, salt or pepper as needed.
7. Savor immediately on top of wholegrain, bean-based or zucchini pasta, or as a dip or spread. Add crushed red pepper if you enjoy a bit of spice. I like to top mine with diced avocado and fresh tomato for added dimension and nutrition. Shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese (or any local option) would be a nice addition for those including dairy in their diet.
*Kale and nuts + seeds can be kept raw for raw vegans and those wishing to consume unaltered ingredients.