I've put together the directions for a simple blueberry shrub, which can be combined with soda water for a refreshing summer mocktail or used in the recipe for the "El Chapo in New York," a twist o...
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila (or mezcal for a smoked blueberry ﬂavor)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice (about one small lime)
- 1/2 ounce blueberry shrub
1) Slap 2 pieces of mint between your palms to release the natural oils without crushing the ﬁbers of the leaves (this adds ﬂavor without bitterness, as opposed to traditional muddling), then add them to your shaker.
2) Add tequila, lime and shrub.
3) Fill shaker with fresh ice.
4) Shake until the shaker gets frosty.
5) Pour into a rocks glass. You can add salt to the rim of your glass, or just sprinkle in a little sea salt for a more mouthwatering drink.
6) Add a splash of soda water if desired.