- 2 bunches carrots with greens
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon delicate sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 tablespoons roasted unsalted cashews, walnuts or pine nuts
- 2 cups carrot greens
- ½ cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Place rimmed baking sheet in the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash carrots and tops thoroughly. Pat greens dry with a paper towel and set aside. Toss carrots in oil and salt. Once the oven and the baking sheet are hot, remove the sheet and carefully add the carrots in a single layer. Return the pan and carrots to the oven and roast until tender, about 25 minutes (but up to 35 if you have very thick carrots).
Remove from oven to a casserole dish. Check seasoning, adding salt if necessary. Dress with pesto and lemon zest; serve.
In a food processor, pulse the garlic and nuts until they reach a sand-like consistency. Remove the stems from the carrot greens and discard or reserve for stock. Add the greens, parsley and cheese to the processor, pulsing as you go. Finally, drizzle in the lemon juice and the olive oil, pulsing until a preferred texture is achieved. Pesto can be can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to five days.