- 25–30 green walnuts, cut into quarters (use rubber gloves to avoid staining your hands)
- 4 cups raw sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 6 juniper berries
- 4 whole allspice
- 4 green peppercorns
- 6 coffee beans
- Enough vodka or Everclear to cover
1. Divide the ingredients between 2 quart-sized Mason jars and fill with vodka, leaving a little room at the top. Stir to combine. The sugar will not completely dissolve at this point. (Many recipes recommend adding the sugar after allowing the mixture to steep for 4 weeks, but about as many say to add it at the beginning.)
2 Place in a sunny window (or a dark cabinet for a more mellow flavor) and shake the jar every day for 6 weeks.
3. Strain the contents of the jar, then pour the liquid through a funnel into clean, glass bottles and seal.
4. Age in a cool dark spot for at least a couple of months, but a year or more will mellow the flavors. Strain through a coffee filter before serving to remove any sediment.