1. Remove stems and rinse cherries with cold water. Add cherries to a pot. Add enough water to cover the cherries. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until soft.
2. Gently mash the soft cherries and pour through a fine-mesh strainer or double-layered cheesecloth to remove skins and pits.
3. Cut cheese into bite-sized portions and place on a crostini or in baked phyllo cups.
4. Drizzle each with honey and then cherry syrup.
5. Zest lemon over the platter or tray of appetizers, salt to taste and serve.