- 1 pound asparagus (rinse and snap off stiff ends)
- ¼ pound butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 35 fresh tarragon leaves (chop all, but set aside 10 for garnishing dish)
- ¼ cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1½ teaspoons Sel Gris (or any coarse sea salt), divided
1. Slowly melt butter in a sauté pan over low heat. Add crushed garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and tarragon. (This herbed butter may be made ahead of time and refrigerated).
2. Prepare an ice bath, using a 2-quart or larger bowl of water with plenty of ice cubes.
3. Drop asparagus in boiling salted water (use remaining teaspoon of salt) for 2 minutes or less. Use tongs to transfer asparagus into ice bowl for another 2 minutes, then to a plate lined with a lint-free towel. Roll asparagus in tarragon garlic butter.
4. Tong asparagus onto a blazing hot grill or sauté pan (cast iron suggested) for no more than 2 minutes.
5. Plate the asparagus. Drizzle with remaining herb butter and sprinkle the Romano cheese and a few tarragon leaves over spears.